Friday, August 29, 2008

6-month Check Up

Had Nora's 6-month check Up today and I have the following to report:
-She's 15 lb, 9 oz which puts her in the 50% for weight
-She's 27in long which puts her in the 90% for height
-We expressed our concern to the pediatrician that despite giving her 3-4 oz of prune juice a day, and only non-binding solids (with the exception of rice cereal) she still has a lot of pain doing her business. Essentially, she SCREAMS bloody murder every time she has to go. So with a quick exam the pediatrician determined she has a small sphincter. Yup that's right; our daughter is a tight-a**. "Just like her mother" Matt was quick to point out.....what a loving hubby. The Dr. says she'll probably outgrow it, but until then she's on a regimen of Milk of Magnesia twice a day to help keep things moving so it doesn't cause any colon problems or become a self-perpetuating problem as she gets older and more in control.
-I am slightly encouraged with the breast-feeding since I did some online research and it turns out quite a few babies are "Distracted Nursers". I'm trying some of the suggestions (movement, limiting distractions) and it seems to help.
-Just in the past few days she's really started expanding her vocabulary: "nananananana, dadadadada." It's cute. She's also a HUGE fan of raspberries, and I swear Oliver is teaching her to spit.

Oliver was very brave accompanying us to the Dr. and it turned out to be a good thing that there is still a nationwide shortage on the Hep-A vaccine, because he needs to know that the Dr's office isn't ALWAYS horrible. He even had a conversation with the Dr once he realized she was only going to examine Nora; showing off his red sunglasses (thanks G-ma BJO)!

That's all for now. Seacrest out!

1 comment:

Reila said...

Oliver's teaching her how to spit huh? NICE...spitting contest in your back yard :). See you next week, I'll be in the desert...boo!